schlitterbahn water park, ex-employee charged in 10-year-old\'s 2016 death on ride
Little boy on the water slide
Prison records show that 29-year-old Taylor Austin Myers was booked to the huaiandot County Detention Center on Friday morning after turning himself in.
His bail is $50,000.
ABC News has received a lengthy indictment calling miles and schlitterbarn water park in Kansas City, Kansas, Uniteddefendants.
In addition to the charge of manslaughter for Caleb Schwab\'s death, Miles and Schlitterbahn are both charged with a number of serious battery and serious crimes against children.
Schlitterbahn was prosecuted for a charge that interfered with law enforcement and concealed evidence, while Miles was charged for this charge and additional charges that interfered with law enforcement and prevented official duties.
In a statement on Friday afternoon, Schlitterbahn said, \"it is deeply disappointing to learn that any individual has been personally prosecuted for a terrible accident at verkt \", and added \"we have never shown evidence of any criminal conduct by anyone in the accident.
On August, Caleb, 10, was killed.
2016. when the child rides 168 of the park, something goes wrong. foot-tall Verruckt (
German is \"crazy \")water slide.
Verruckt was promoted as the world\'s largest of its kind at that time.
After Caleb\'s death, it was closed indefinitely.
The indictment states that Verruckt suffered \"ongoing air problems\" and carried out a large-scale redesign in 2014, following tests showing that the raft of the amusement facility had flown into the air.
Miles and other Schlitterbahn officials-
Including chief designer John Schooley of Verruckt and co-designer Jeff Henry
Owner of Schlitterbahn-
According to the indictment, he allegedly knew directly that the \"redesign failed to eliminate the problem of air rafts\", but nevertheless he continued to move forward.
According to the indictment, Henry put forward the idea of water skiing, and despite \"a long list of dangerous design flaws\", he rushed to the construction.
According to the indictment, he was allegedly motivated to brag about the owners of the water park to his competitors.
After Caleb\'s death, experts who studied the Journey found that \"Verruckt\'s design violates almost all aspects of industrial safety standards for a long time\", and the indictment notes that, in addition, the evidence suggests that, designers and operators of Verruckt know that this journey \"poses a substantial and unreasonable risk of death or serious physical injury \".
Documents cited in the indictment show that the rider suffered a range of injuries, including multiple fractures and concussion, before Caleb\'s death.
After Caleb\'s death, Miles allegedly tried to cover up complaints about injuries while on the road, and the indictment stated that even a lifeguard was allegedly instructed to lie in the park.
Thanks to Miles\'s alleged efforts to hide information and cover up facts
The investigation was delayed for nearly six months, the indictment said.
Esteban Castaneda told ABC News in 2016 that for the first time he heard the \"boom\" sound on the Verruckt water slide at Schlitterbahn Water Park, which was promoted to the highest in the world
Then he saw a raft go through, \"right after the raft \". . .
\"You saw a body,\" he said . \"
Two women, he said, were sitting behind the raft covered with blood.
Investigators say Caleb was beheaded in the car.
Caleb\'s parents interviewed ABC News last year.
His father, Scott Schwab, said that in the months after the tragedy, family members, especially the surviving three brothers, comforted themselves by watching a video from Caleb.
\"There are times when I can\'t watch it right now, and there are times when you can\'t sleep and you want to see it,\" Schwab said . \".
Last year, the Schwab family reached an undisclosed settlement with the owner of the park and the manufacturer of the ride, which will be handed over to Caleb\'s brother, the family\'s lawyer, mike Harrison and Todd Scharnhorst told ABC News.
Miles was released on bail on Friday afternoon.
The statement issued by the company this afternoon went on to say: \"During our 40-year operation, the safety of our guests and employees has been at the forefront of our culture.
Our family can enjoy water parks, rides and attractions.
We have set the highest standards for the safety of our industry.
\"Since our opening in Kansas City, our staff has shown the highest dedication to safety, judging from the training of our lifeguards and cyclists, make sure all rides are operated according to our strict agreement.
Our team has been committed to providing tourists with a safe and enjoyable water park experience.
We are shocked by allegations of misconduct or negligence by anyone associated with Verruckt.
\"In our work, Taylor, our director of operations, demonstrated the highest dedication to safety, from the training of lifeguards and cyclists, make sure all rides are operated according to our strict agreement.
He is responsible and committed to providing tourists with a safe and pleasant water park experience.
Taylor left us in September and accepted great opportunities;
We are sorry to see him go and wish him all the best.
We supported him and were shocked by the allegations.
In a later statement on the corporate indictment, Schlitterbahn said: \"We have reviewed the indictment against Schlitterbahn Kansas City and Taylor Myers, and we plan to challenge the allegations.
Since the date of the incident, we have worked closely with law enforcement;
We have never concealed evidence;
We have never changed the evidence.
The indictment cites a statement from a reality show that plays with dramatic effects and does not in any way reflect the design and construction of the journey.
\"During our 40 years of operation, the safety of Schlitterbahn guests and staff has been at the forefront of our culture.
Many of us, like our children and grandchildren, often ride bicycles.
We believe in the justice system, and we believe it is clearly an accident when we finally have the opportunity to defend ourselves.
We support our team and will fight these allegations.
\"ABC was unable to reach Schooley and Henry immediately.
The Schwab family has yet to comment on Friday\'s news.
Theresa bass, counsel for miles, told ABC affiliate KMBC that he did not plead guilty to these charges.
She declined to comment in addition to confirming her guilty plea.